Time: 30 minutes (Prep time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes) Servings: 4
2 medium zucchinis, peeled
2 medium carrots, peeled
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsp avocado oil
Herbed Paleo Mayo Ingredients:
3 Tbsp paleo mayo
1/2 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp herbs of choice (feel free to use anything you have on hand; chives and rosemary, etc)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Shred the carrots and zucchini with a hand grater or food processor.
2. Place the shredded veggies in a colander, sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and mix together.
3. Let stand for 10 minutes, then squeeze out all the moisture from the veggies with your hands.
4. Place the grated zucchini and carrots in a large bowl.
5. Add the red onion, parsley, eggs, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, and almond flour to the zucchini mixture and mix until combined.
6. Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Make sure your oil is nice and hot before you add the fritters to the pan otherwise the fritters will soak up all the oil and they won’t become crisp. Also, since you need to make these fritters in batches, add a little oil to the pan between every batch so the fritters all become golden brown and don’t burn.
7. For each fritter, spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the pan. Make a circle shape and pat down and together with a spoon.
8. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn. You might need to turn the burner down if your pan gets too hot.
9. Mix together the ingredients for the herbed mayo in a small bowl.
10. Serve the warm fritters with the mayo. Enjoy with a nice bowl of soup, as a side dish to your favorite protein, as part of breakfast, or as a delicious appetizer.